The Province issued a News Release on 16 November 2016 regarding proposed changes to three key pieces of municipal legislation - the Municipal Act, the City of Toronto Act, and the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act.
According to the News Release, if the proposed changes pass they would:
- increase fairness and reduce barriers for women and parents elected to municipal governments by allowing time off for pregnancy or parental leave;
- empower municipalities to address climate change in their communities through by-laws related to green construction in certain circumstances;
- broaden municipal investment powers, which may help better finance repairs and replacements of local infrastructure;
- improve access to justice for the public and for municipal councillors by allowing integrity commissioners to investigate complaints;
- require municipalities to have a code of conduct for members of municipal councils and local boards.
The News Release is available on the Province's website here.